Tuesday, April 21, 2009

America needs a Conservative Party

AAR

You've been saying for some time now that we need a Conservative Party (and maybe "Party" is not the right term, although it is your term) that's not tied to the GOP, but that can do the heavy lifting on the more conservative issues, much like MoveOn has done for the Dems.

I don't totally disagree with that, but I'm having trouble envisioning how that would work on the Right. While MoveOn doesn't represent the ideology of the majority of Democrats, it does represent the ideology of the Dem leadership. And the Dems who don't agree with MoveOn, to a large extent, care more about winning than they do about defending their principles. It's just a completely different mindset than Conservatives.

Who exactly do you envision making up this "bad cop" wing of Conservatism, and what roll do they play at election time? Do they do all the heavy lifting, not run any candidates of their own and then stay home when the GOP leadership fails to agree with them on a singular issue? Who do you visualize leading them? And, more importantly, who funds them?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but talking to people at the Tea Party really got me to thinking about strategy in some new ways. You know the old saying, "politics makes strange bedfellows"? Well, that was never more obvious than at the Tea Party Saturday. I'm thinking, if the movement has legs, it could go a long way toward softening the stance of lots of one-issue voters.

Retired Spook

2 comments:

  1. RS,

    I didn't know if you want to continue to comment here as RS or as Retired Spook as you were using on the test blog.

    If you want to continue as just RS, I'll change the post.

    AAR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that it matters a whole lot in the overall scheme of things, AAR. Anyone who who is likely to post here knows who I am, and "RS" is easier to type.

    You said in your email that it sounded like I was getting emotional about things. I don't know -- maybe I am, but I'd like to think that being guided by emotion is more of a left wing phenomenon. What I am is excited -- excited about being part of a movement that changes the course of history; or, perhaps, blocking the way of those who would drastically and irreparably alter the course of history is more accurate. In reality, maybe I'm just a senile old coot who hates seeing something I love, something I served for over 2 decades to protect and defend, destroyed.

    Let me throw out some topics, and hope we can get someone else in on the discussion besides the two of us.

    There are at least four major aspects to the Left's current agenda that, if allowed to proceed, I believe will have as profound an effect on America as the Communist Revolution did on Russia in 1917. (1) Massive debt coupled with high inflation (if not hyper-inflation); (2) Emphasis on "green" jobs at a time when such a tactic in Europe has resulted in fewer overall jobs -- not more; (3) Cap & Trade policies that will destroy the energy industry; and (4) The pursuit of embryonic stem-cell research at all costs. I'm sure there are more, but those four are a good starting point for discussion.

    I do think that the Left believed they had a relatively unobstructed field in front of them, and that the Tea Party movement, coming out of nowhere is 60 days, is taking them somewhat by surprise, particularly since it appears to be attracting moderate Dems and Independents. The only two things we don't know at this point are, does that movement have legs; and, if it does, how will the Left react. Will they back off, or will they simply continue full speed ahead with their agenda by any means necessary? Will they resort to force and threat of violence if pushed against the wall? To be honest; I don't know. IMHO, the 2010 election will be the proverbial line in the sand -- the turning point, if you will. The one thing we DO know is that lack of votes in Congress will not deter them as long as they hold even a slim majority and the White House.

    ReplyDelete